Friday, January 2, 2009

Quantum of Solace and Wii WFC

I rented Quantum of Solace for the wii over break and have been trying to play online. It took me a bit to figure out what was wrong. After checking the Network Test from Nintendo support, I found out what my problem was.

My router, Linksys BEFSR41 V3, Had Dynamic Routing turned off. Usually because if I don't know what it does, I turn it off and see what happens. So I probably turned of Transmitting and Recveiveing of RIP a long time ago. I read what it does;
"The Dynamic Routing feature can be used to
automatically adjust to physical changes in the network's layout. The
Router uses the dynamic RIP protocol. It determines the route that the
network packets take based on the fewest number of hops between the
source and the destination. The RIP protocol regularly broadcasts
routing information to other routers on the network.", and turned it back on.

After that, it worked like a charm! The menu is located under Setup->Advanced routing on the routers config website. If you find yourself in the same position, give that a try.

Network Test:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

No comments: