Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Double Click to minimize windows

I was trolling around the ##osx-server channel on freenode today when I saw a problem someone was having. natewa, as he is know on that channel, was having trouble setting a preference to allow all new users to double click a window to minimize it. It should be able to be set in the /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist file for all new users. For some reason, this plist file gets overwritten when a new user gets a home folder.

After looking at the User Template folder, I noticed a Non_localized.lproj folder. It seems that this folder also has a .GlobalPreferences.plist! Instead of changing the English.lproj GlobalTemplate file, I changed the Non_localized.lproj GlobalPreferences file. Bam! It worked for all new users.

My guess is that your specific language template file, such as English.lproj in my case, is being combined with the non_localized.lproj file for whatever reasons.

Here is the command I used:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/User\ Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences AppleMiniaturizeOnDoubleClick -bool TRUE


That allows all new users to double click a window to minimize it. Enjoy!

No comments: