Monday, November 1, 2010

AD Binding Fails

I have been having some issues lately with some random machines loosing their binding. I've just had to fix the third Mac in as many months with this issue. Unfortunately, I didn't really know what was going on until now.

I would try to bind using Directory Utility and it kept failing on step 3. I turned on DirectoryService debugging with the handy command-y:

sudo killall -USR1 DirectoryService

That produced some cool errors such as:

Active Directory: Password verify for rzm102@DOMAIN.COM failed with error -1765328230


Plug-in call "dsDoPlugInCustomCall()" failed with error = -14090.

Let me just say, I know my password. I didn't forget it. I type it in my machine hundreds of times a day, so it's not that!

What it was, was very interesting. I found this thread that lead me to the real issue. Apparently, the /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/config/Kerberos\:AD.DOMAIN.NAME file had become corrupted. When I went to cat the file, it displayed with some funky text, not the plist I was expecting.

Removing this file allows rebinding and fixes the issue. Yay!

No comments: